Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Sounds of Home

I began to become nostalgic as I read a recent post to a blog. I have a few hobbies and activities that I enjoy when there is time, (if you have read my profile you must realize I don't have much time to enjoy them) but one of my favorite past times is listening. I love to listen to the sounds of my house.

I smile to myself as I sit in another room listening to my husband and son watching some game on TV; yelling at the umps or refs as if they could hear every word; cheering at a great play; chiding each other if they are for opposing teams.

I enjoy hearing my daughter singing as she goes through the house thinking no one is listening (or maybe not caring if they are).

I get tickled at my husband when he plays "chase" then "hide-and-seek" with our 6 lb pomeranian. Darrell will run in circles, one room to the next, the dog chasing and barking after him, then Darrell will hide behind a door while calling the dog to see if the he will figure out where Darrell disappeared to.

I chuckle when I hear my daughter become melodramatic over some homework problem or other occurrence crying out, "ALL is Lost!"

I love to hear my family respond to some television show or movie they are engrossed in.

I feel love when my family finally notices I'm "missing" and begins calling "mom" in various languages.

My children are teens and my dog is getting old and I realize many of these "sounds" will soon be absent from my home. So for now I will enjoy them while I can as much as I can. Because all to soon the "sounds" will become merely cherished memories.

No comments: