Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Are You Missing Something?

I just thought I might be of help to those of you who have lost precious articles within the past few months. I believe I have found where they disappeared to.

We have been after our kids to clean their rooms for some time now and though they go and spend HOURS in them supposedly cleaning somehow the rooms look no better when they come out. Amazingly, they often times look WORSE after the kids have "cleaned"!

My niece and her family are coming to stay with us this weekend so I decided it was time I took matters into my own hands. My daughter's room is the worse so I chose to risk life and limb and start there. As I entered with my mountain climbing equipment, picks and shovels I began digging through the pile. (It's just one huge mountain. To have separate piles would imply there is some sort of organization.) As I dug, I began pitching clothes to the hallway to be rewashed (fully aware that 90% have probably not been worn since the last washing,but since they had been trampled on numerous times, I figured it warranted a rewashing). To my surprise I found not only mounds of Ashley's clothes and shoes that she outgrew right after we moved here, but I also found her brother's clothes, her brother's underwear and socks, a variety of shoes belonging to numerous people, her DAD'S jeans, her dad's underwear, school papers from second grade, half eaten food from who knows when, a ziploc bag of some unknown substance which looked and smelled like vomit (which I almost did when I found it)....you get the idea.

I came to realize as I shoveled and climbed that MANY lost treasures (among other scarier things) might be in this room! So...if you have lost something valuable just let me know. I'll mark it and set it aside for you. All I ask in return is a small finder's fee...you know for taking my life in my own hands for your service.

Oh, by the way. You might want to add my children to your prayer lists. Otherwise, when asked about them my response may be, "Ashley and Daniel WHO?"

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a well established fact that the washing machines eats one sock per every three loads it washes. I can't believe there hasn't been a Doctoral theis written about this.

Henry Haney said...

Go ahead and write it Bro. Donny and we'll help promote your work :)

Thanks for the laffs today Libby. My daughters share a room (they are five and two) and I had no idea that girls could be that messy...boy was I wrong- LOL

I used to work as a maintenance man at a local university. The girls dorms were always messier than the guys rooms.

Henry Haney said...

Oh yeah, and if you happen to find a few packs of guitar strings and a disc of Microsoft office let me know...I've been searching around for months now...I'll willing to pay a small finders fee per your request :)

(ps...this word verification thingy is getting hard or else I need some new glasses...not sure which it is)

Libby said...

My daughter solved the mystery of the unkown substance. It was flour and water. She was "doing and experiment" to find out what would happen if the mixture was left for 2 months. I was "in trouble" for discarding it 2 days shy of the 2 months.

Guess that's what I get for being a mother who is a science teacher.

Libby said...

Oh,BTW, Donny. I think those missing socks are actually in Ashley's room.

The 6 Karns' said...

Since JayCee is only 5 and I'm already there...I'm scared of the future! We have also found some very STRANGE things in her room that went missing.

Most memorable is a bag of frozen Chicken (that had obviously thawed) under her bed...ugh, and gross...

Anonymous said...

Hello Mrs. Garrett. This is Cassy Johnson from 4th hour Chemistry 1. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. Although I was not at school for last hour today (my Mom got married today), I will be taking it Tuesday morning. I know that there has been hard not having you in class and difficult and confusing at times, but at least you are getting better. I hope to see you better and back in school next school year!
Sincerely,
Cassy J.

Anonymous said...

So Libby, where are you from in Kentucky? I saw it in one of your comments on Seans page. My wife and I live in Ashland in Eastern KY. Still praying for your speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, send the socks back, I need them!!!

Anonymous said...

Donny,

I HAVE found the socks. Some of them tucked inside other socks, but I figure it is cheaper for you to buy more than it is for me to mail them to you:)

I grew up in LaCenter, KY. It is in Ballard county. This is the county by which the Mississippi river dumps into the Ohio river (most people assume the Ohio dumps into the Mississippi).

I think most Kentuckians, especially eastern Kentuckians, don't think we're part of the state way over there.

Barbara said...

This is so funny! My daughter can identify with this! She has 4 children, 2 teenagers (17 & 16) and two younger boys, 10 & 12. The two older ones pretty well keep their rooms clean, especially her daughter. But, the two younger boys have bunk beds in the same room.They throw all clothes, dirty, clean - worn or not worn, in the floor, to be trampled on. School things come out of the bag into the floor. You may find LOST silverware, glasses, plates, & bowls that have been in there ages. Toys they never play with have been thrown in the closet, under the bed, wherever!

So, I've had the 12 yr old since the day before school was out. He is going into JR High, so he wasn't required to go the last day - he's 'on vacation'. So, she enlisted the help of her daughter and the 10 yr old to CLEAN the mess up! She said she could not believe her eyes, when she got home from work last Friday! And, perhaps, it will stay clean all summer, since the 2 little boys spend Monday - Friday with us during the summer months, to keep her house from being destroyed. :)

By the way, their two Gameboys were missing - they are now found!

Anonymous said...

Since this was posted on may 16th I am now concerned for you Libby... do we need to go in there after you?


***Searching for Libby***

Anonymous said...

Libby, I love that part of Kentucky! I have even been there! One day when I was working in Mayfield I drove over to Columbus Belmont Park and looked around. Beautiful country! BTW Don't worry about sending the socks, got a new pair at WallyWorld this week.