Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Battle of the Bulge!

In addition to blogging firewalls, I have been battling my weight. The doc told me to lose 15 lbs about 2 years ago because my "bad" cholesterol was getting a little too high for his liking.
All of my other numbers looked great with the exception of my good cholesterol which needed to be a little higher. I told the Doc that it was hereditary. My entire immediate family battles this thanks to my wonderful genes (not jeans, folks). All the more reason for Doc to tell me to lose weight but now he wanted me to lose TWENTY-FIVE instead of 15!!! That'll teach me to keep my big mouth shut (well, probably not but we can always hope!) I argued with my toothpick-sized doc that I could lose 15 but that other ten would
really be a challenge to which he replies, "Well even I had to take off a few more pounds after looking at the BMI chart!" Remember I said "toothpick-sized doc"? After that statement I knew I didn't have a leg to stand on so I agreed to try to follow the doctor's orders. (Blast those stupid BMI charts!! Who ever came up with that idea anyway!?)

Well, I went to work on the diet. I lost 15 lbs! The doc was pleased. I was pleased, my husband was pleased. Things were going great! Then I fell at work. 2 months of sitting on my behind taking dose after dose of steroids took care of those fifteen pounds! I was starting over.

I got better finally, started taking the weight back off, was down 10 - 12 pounds again and BAM I was exposed to a dangerous chemical at work. Guess what the treatment was? You got! Two more months of steroids!!! Now I'm back to within a 1/2 lb of my original weight! Pretty much back to square 1!!!! ARGHHH!!!! It was closing in on the holidays by that time so I decided to weight until January to tackle this again. In spite of getting my favorite candy for Christmas and still having some left, I was emotionally ready to start again on January 2, so I did.

I am following the low carb diet the Doc recommended for me and I am pleased to say that as of today, I am down by 12 lbs!!! Just 2 1/2 more lbs and I will be back to where I was before I fell almost 2 years ago. Frustrating? Absolutely, but I am pleased that my clothes are starting to fit again and I am almost 1/2 to my goal!

I'll keep you updated on my progress so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

Trying to make me look bad, aren't you!
I'm proud of you babe!