Wednesday, January 04, 2006

"My Philosophy of Life"

My son had to write a ten page paper on his philosophy of life in his honors English class. He is a sophomore in high school and only 15 at that. I told my husband, "How much of a philosophy of life can a kid that age have? I don't think I could write 10 pages on that subject and I have a masters degree!" Darrell said that he could probably do it but then writing is what he does for a living. Even he admitted it would be a challenge, however. I remarked that my paper would be one line, "Life is short. Eat your dessert first!"
The paper was due today so I had an opportunity to proof read the final draft. I have to admit, I was amazed. Daniel discussed how the decisions of all those who came before him affected who he is and what his philosophy is, essentially stating that ultimately it is his choice. He made his case for why being a witness and seeing lost souls saved is the most important thing in life. This touched my heart that a 15 year old kid could be so mature in his thinking (spiritually at least).
So I began to wonder, how many adults have really contemplated their philosophy of life? I would like for you to share yours. Obviously, I don't expect a 10-page paper, just a quick comment would suffice. Let me know your thoughts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is a big question! I'd have to sit for a bit to wrap my brain around it! It's a good challenge though!

- Christa

Libby said...

I know! Congratulations on the new little one coming soon!

Pastor Jeff said...

I think that I could be in the ballpark with this brief statement:
"Love Christ. Love people. Show it by your actions."

Anyway, its brief, and it doesn't cover all the bases, but it's biblical. God bless, and happy 20th to you and Darrell.
~Jeff

Neil said...

I have been asking myself the question "What is God's Will?" Today it came to me that God's Will for any persons life is: 1) To know God; 2) To be known by God; 3) For others to see God in and through me. Somehow I believe if I can accomplish these three things in life I may do ok!

Anonymous said...

Still thinking on this one... right now my philosophy is to get to the end of this pregnancy.... ROFL

Although I did promise not to go into labor in the third week of January ROFL so I guess I'll be good!