Sunday, January 22, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Babes?

There is a committee of ten that has been established to study the feasibility of consolidating Knoxville and Abingdon High Schools. This committee met last Wednesday or Thursday night so their discussion was the hot topic at school on Friday. My fourth period students came in wanting to discuss the issue and the conversation went somethting like this:

Student 1: What do you think of the possibility of consolidation, Mrs. Garrett?

Student 2: It'll never happen because Abingdon is the one hurting, not us.

Student 3: I don't know why we don't just consolidate with Galesburg. That makes more sense.

Several all together: Yeah! We're closer to Galesburg. That's what we oughtta do!

Student 3: What would our colors be? I hope we don't take Abingdon's colors!

Me: What are their colors?

Student 1: Red and Green! Christmas colors.

Me: That's what they are at Lincoln High School! I had never seen that combination before I worked there. It worked out great for me. I have a lot of shirts to wear in December, now. (Couldn't resist giving them a hard time.)
Don't worry. Usually when schools consolidate, they don't take either schools colors. They establish a whole new set of colors and a new mascot so no one can be upset if theirs wasn't used.

Student 2: Well, I've been giving this whole thing a lot of thought and I think Galesburg, Knoxville and Abingdon should all consolidate! Just make it one big county high school! Then we could be called The Streaking Blue Commandos!

Note: Galesburg's mascot is the Silver Streaks, Knoxville's is the Blue Bullets and Abingdon's is the Commandos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ROFL I love quick thinking like that ... that cracks me up!