Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back to Reality!!!


Well, break is over. It was great while it lasted but now it is time to return to the everyday grind of reality. As I was driving to work, I began feeling stressed. I started analyzing why? I happen to like my job so why would I stress over returning to work? HHMMM
I realized while getting ready for work that I have misplaced a set of tests and my gradebook sometime during the break. No idea what I've done with them. I got to school and someone had been messing with all the computers. No need to worry, it was a company installing new software and working on the system. They called our tech guy and told him to reboot every computer in the building. This had to be done before the students and teachers got on them. The company didn't call Phil until 7:00 am this morning. The kids enter the building at 8:10 and the teachers before that. I quickly hurried around the building helping Phil accomplish this task. Not only had the company left this mess, they had also disabled the anit-virus program on the server so we had to wait until that was reconnected before we could use the internet (which I use almost daily in class lectures).
I then went to use my overhead projector (throwing it back old school as Sarah would say) and remembered the bulb had blown just before break and hadn't been replaced yet. I had to track down the tech guy who had to track down numerous bulbs and then come to my room to see if he could fix it. (He's still trying to deal with computer issues mind you.) At first it appeared it wasn't the bulb at all but he finally got it going. I get my lecture underway reviewing the Bohr model of the atom, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and then begin explaining the Aufbau principle and electron configuration all the while asking myself if I need my head examined. What teenaged kid wants to come back from a two week Christmas break and listen to this!!??? I wasn't too sure I wanted to listen to it and I like the subject!!! All of this occurred during the 1st hour I was at school!
Ironically, today's events were not all that out of the ordinary. I went back to re-evaluate my intial quandry. Why do I feel stressed when going to a job I like? HHHMMMM, I wonder!

4 comments:

Henry Haney said...

My brother and sister in-law are both teachers, so I think they share in your rant today-LOL

They often equate it to the old military slogan "the toughest job you'll ever love."

My oldest daughter went back to school today and honestly (and ashamedly) I think my wife (a stay-at-home-mom) breathed a small sigh of relief :)

It's good to know there are godly men and women out there in the school systems teaching our young people. I commend you for doing one of the most thankless jobs in the world (this side of pastoring- j/k).

Libby said...

Thanks. I'm sorry if I sounded like a complainer. Truthfully, as I was recounting the days events I found them to be humerous. I think writing about this helped me put things in perspective.

Henry Haney said...

Oh- I didn't think you were being a complainer- I was just givin' ya a hard time. :)

Blogging does provide a unique outlet for expressing ideas and putting things into perspective doesn't it?

Libby said...

Actually, that's part of why I started this blog. I really had no intentions of posting for people to read but then my husband linked it to his so I took a different approach. I do have fun with it, though. I really enjoy reading the comments people make.