Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The "Fridge"

If you have been reading this blog, then you have figured out by now that I am a science teacher. Being a science teacher is a lot of hard work, preparing and researching for lectures, preparing for labs, researching new technology, etc, etc, but there are distinct advantages. For example, I can act very strange at times and no one seems to think anything about it. People who know me say, "She's a science teacher" and the response is simply, "Oh" as if that description alone explains all my eccentric behaviors.
Another advantage is being in like flint with the biology teachers. They always have access to a private fridge for their experiments and specimens and are more than willing to grant me some space free of charge for my lunch and drinks. Some people may get grossed out by having their pastrami by fetal pigs or cow eyes but it doesn't bother me in the least (remember that eccentricity thing). I'm just glad to have some safe place to stash my stuff.
The one time I decided to put my Diet Pepsi in the fridge in the teachers' lounge someone in an earlier lunch period DRANK it! I had to bum money off of another teacher to get a soda (note to self: pay Janice back)! That cinched it! I went back to sharing space with the cow parts.
Well, yesterday morning I went to get a bottle of water out of the bio fridge and they were all gone! I finally found my water on top of another small dorm fridge which was sitting on a counter unplugged.
I went to ask the generous bio teacher, essentially, if I had done something to lose my priviledge of sharing space with the animal parts. He explained that he had so much to store in there on Friday, that he had to move the water and forgot to put it back. He continued that I probably would want to find a different spot for my stash starting next semester anyway explaining it may not be a good idea to store my food with the e.coli experiments he would be conducting in microbiology. I thought this was probably sage advice.
He offerred the small dorm fridge for my use. I would just need to clean it and move it into my room. So fourth period I had my handy, dandy lab assistants complete the highly scientific job of cleaning and sterilizing the fridge and moving it.
The young gentleman did all that I asked and when finished I checked the setting on the fridge and waited for it to cool in order to store my stash in this new found treasure.
2 hours later, the fridge was still not cool. I had students check the outlet. It worked. I thought perhaps it needed more time. I waited until the next morning and checked it again, still not cool. I remarked to the bio teacher that it didn't work. He said, "It did when I last used it. The problem with it was it froze everything!" So I went back and checked it again, outlet works,... check, thermostat set to max, ...check,...wait ...look through bottom of glasses... check thermostat again, ...thermostat set to off!!!!! (I thought the reading was "10"!) Ooooopps!
I went back to Mr. Bio teacher and announced, "I discovered the problem with the fridge. I need new glasses!"
NOTE: I enjoyed an ice cold Diet Pepsi with my lunch today. No one was able to steal it! Life is good again!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Note to self: Do not accept dinner invites to Libby's house. Restaurants only.

[QUOTE]Some people may get grossed out by having their pastrami by fetal pigs or cow eyes[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? I'm grossed out by just reading about it! I'm pretty sure that I would have a hard time eating any food located in the same wing of the building where that fridge is located.

~~~Must start looking for the Tums, Rolaids, something...~~~

Libby said...

Hey! I don't recall any complaints from the last time you were here!! Besides, I did have intensions of inviting you over on Jan. 7th.

Sarah said...

[QUOTE]Hey! I don't recall any complaints from the last time you were here!![/QUOTE]
I had the understanding "The freezer door was left open" not "The fridge is full with extra various animal parts...so let's have a dinner."

[QUOTE]Besides, I did have intensions of inviting you over on Jan. 7th.[/QUOTE]
Let's make that delivery not DiGiorno!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
~~~~~~I'm so funny I crack myself up.~~~~~~
***********(too bad I'm the only one)***********

Libby said...

So how about the 7th? Are you brave enough to come? Just pretend you don't know about my eccentric behavior.

Sarah said...

Sure, I'm getting braver everyday...but let's not go too crazy. I still don't eat anything on a bone or if I see the carcass, like at Thanksgiving. When I was growing up, we could see cows out our back kitchen window. If I was eating hamburger and saw a cow, I couldn't finish because I couldn't disassociate it anymore.

Libby said...

Looking forward to seeing you! No cow or pig parts I promise.