Friday, April 21, 2006

Lucille Ball


My mother once asked my husband what it felt like to be married to Lucille Ball. I was a bit offended at the time. My thoughts? Thanks, Mom, for your support! But as time has past, (20 years in fact) I have had to admit she may be right. I seem to have a knack for the er... unusual to occur when I'm around.

This past Wednesday afternoon, our school was having its biennial mock prom crash. The fire and rescue squad, the ambulance service, State police, local police and helicopter were all at our school to dramatize what could happen when kids drink and drive at prom.

The kids were released at 2 pm for the event. At that time of day I'm supervising study hall downstairs. I was expecting a call from the Dr.'s office and had forgotten my phone so when the kids left I took my book upstairs and retrieved my jacket and phone. Sure enough, there was a message from the Dr.'s office. As I was walking down the stairs to the second floor I listened to the message. I was given a direct line to call.

At the second floor stairwell I dialed the number and began the decent down the next flight of stairs. At the next landing the nurse answered. I took the 1st step down the final flight of 18 steps. I lost my footing and went bouncing down about 15 of them! The phone went flying as I lunged to grab the railing to catch myself. All the while the nurse continued to talk. I asked a co-worker who had already reached the ground level safely to please hand me the phone. I apologized to the nurse for not hearing anything she just said and asked her to please repeat. (Yes, I was writhing in pain but it wasn't polite to not listen to someone who had made such a special effort to speak with me.)

When I hung up the phone, Mr. Hughes asked if I was alright. I explained that I did hurt quite a bit so he offered his hand and helped me to solid ground and out the door. I hobbled to the bleachers where the teachers were sitting and asked if anyone had access to ice. One of the PE teachers went to fetch a bag and returned quickly. Upon returning she asked, "Does he (the principal, Mr. Callahan) know you're hurt!?" I shook my head. She quickly marched off dutifully to report the accident.

"Hey, Mr. Callahan, we've got someone
REALLY hurt here!!!" (I love, Terry.) Mr. Callahan hurried to my side to check on me. As luck would have it, every kind of emergency personnel in Knox county was immediately available. The director of the county ambulance service immediately questioned me and recommended I be taken by ambulance, immobilized on a board, to the hospital! Pads were placed around my head, a neck brace about my neck, straps across my head, chest, torso and legs; the only thing I could move was my hands. I explained that "I freak out when I'm strapped down" (bet your wondering how I would know this; another time, another post) so the EMT might want to talk to me all the way to the hospital.

I was loaded into the ambulance, lights flashing, sirens going, most at the school none the wiser. Except for a few witnesses, everyone thought it was just part of the "show"!

I received immediate, personable (that is the word I meant) care at the hospital. Everyone was attentive and pleasant. The Doc sent me home citing no broken bones. Three days later, I'm still sore and moving kinda slow, but I thank God I wasn't injured seriously. I also thank God for everone's prayers and that He made arrangements for such timely medical care!

I'll return another time with more evidence as to how I embody Lucille Ball.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

you poor thing , that must have hurt!! 15 stairs ?? yikes!! Im glad your ok!!... I love that show , I used to watch it late at night, cant wait to hear your tales of lucy moments!!!

J. Stephen Conn said...

Do you sometimes think this like this happen just so you can write about them. Thank God you didn't break anything, and the ambulance was already there for you. The soreness will be gone soon, but you will look back and laugh about your tumble for years.

Libby said...

Yes, I absolutely think it is so I can tell others and brighten their day.

I called my mother to relate the story and a similar incident which happened to me about 3 or 4 years ago. She was rolling (I can't even get sympathy from my mother!).

Just before I said goodbye, she said, "Thanks for making my day!"

BTW - I am almost finished reading your book. I am going to post about it when I am finished. I really feel many in our church should read it because they are unfamiliar with just how far we've come in the CoG!

Great read!

ruthrap said...

now i dont feel so bad about your husband comparing me to lucy! Tell him i'm still waiting for that pizza order.........

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am praying for your speedy recovery! I will pray for your principal too!!!! Just kidding, get well soon!

Anonymous said...

((gentle hugs)) you be careful missy!

ruthrap said...

Libby, glad to see you are better! I'm better after my tumble too! It just takes time and I'm not very patient. I've always been prone to freak accidents, some more serious than others, but thankfully I didn't break anything this time!! We just have to stay vertical!!!! Have a great day!

Henry Haney said...

I'm glad you're feeling better....will be praying for you- just now saw this.

-HH