Wednesday, April 26, 2006

"Lucy! You've got some 'splaning to do!"

Well, I'm home again! I went to work on Monday, but was in such pain by 3rd period I was in tears. I called the Dr. At my appointment he prescribed 2 additional meds and took me off work until after he sees me monday. "Great!" I thought because I had a guest speaker and a field trip to Six Flags planned for this week.

The speaker came without me and the Art teacher is taking the physics students on their field trip so they don't lose the money they paid. I'm still trying to convalesce.

I started the meds as directed. I didn't sleep well last night. I woke up this morning with my thighs itching like crazy! I got a slight sunburn on the top of my thighs Saturday so I just figured it was worse than I originally thought and now I'm peeling.

WRONG!!!! Upon taking a closer look I realized I had broken out in red welts all over my legs! I called the Dr. AGAIN. When the nurse called me back, I gave her the low-down. She instructed me to stop taking all meds (Well, duh!) she would call back again after speaking with the Dr. He agreed with my diagnosis that it was an allergy to one of the meds. He called in new scripts. A steroid to get rid of the hives and a new anti-inflammatory. Because the latter was not generic I had to pay $50 just for it. Apparently, insurance companies don't care if you are taking a name brand because you are allergic to the generic!

I ate something and took the flexeril (muscle relaxer). I called my mother to give an update. She informed me that flexeril broke her out into a rash which started on her legs, itched terribly, and moved up her body to her arms and face. DING! DING! DING! We have a WINNER! These were the exact same symptoms as mine.

The nurse had told me if I had trouble breathing to call back or go directly to the ER. I noticed that my tongue had begun to swell as well by now and that I was having the burning sensation inside my mouth and throat as well now!

I called the nurse back relating the new info. Sure enough, I was allergic to the flexeril and didn't NEED to pay $50 for new meds! I took 50 mg of Benadryl (sp?) and started the steroids.

Some of the symptoms are subsiding now, but I still have an unbearable itch and my tongue still feels fat. I'll be glad when I get through this.

The good news? Doc says nothing is broken and I should be completely well in a week or two. In the meanwhile I'm at home lying around feeling groggy and itchy.

4 comments:

The 6 Karns' said...

All I can think of is...HITCH.

Unknown said...

LOL , Amber , Poor Libby , I feel for ya & im still prayin for ya !! i have a ?? with your toung all swelled up do you sound like eidth ann ... and thats the truthhhhh !!!! LOLOL

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you Libby! Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Cute, Amber.

Amy: No,the swelling of the tongue has gone down. Thank God because the next would have been my throat swelling shut! I'm still very blotchy and itchy, though.

Thanks, Donny. At least I'm getting some sympathy from you! :)