Friday, April 28, 2006

Why Not Vote?

Why do so many Christians think that being involved in politics is wrong? If Christians don't run for office or justice positions, we are leaving the running of this country to the unsaved and we wonder what has happened to this God fearing nation?!

The same reasoning holds for schools. I have been criticized for teaching in public schools instead of a private Christian school. First of all and most importantly, this is what God has called me to do. But aside from that, if we take all the Christian teachers out of the schools, what influence have we left for the young people of the U.S. to follow and look up to as role models? If we take all the Christian students out of the schools, what peers have we left for other students to be influenced by. I truly believe my children are missionaries on a mission field.

I am not putting down anyone who chooses home schooling or private Christian schools. You must do what God has directed you to do, but I do think sometimes we try to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world! Not just politically, not just in education, but we do it in our churches as well! We fail to become friends with the unsaved and spend all of our time with other Christians. How are we going to reach the lost if we are never around the lost?

The Bible says we are to be in the world but not of the world. I understand that to mean we live and function in daily lives as normal people. We just don't partake of sinful things. Jesus made his closest friends people that most people at that time wouldn't give the time of day to. They weren't the holy saints from the synagogue. He befriended them, taught them, discipled (trained) them. They weren't "good Christians" when Christ met them!

We are to be the salt of the earth. Salt doesn't just "sit" on the meat or other food and look nice. It chemically changes and reacts with the food, preserving it and changing its flavor. We can't change lives of the unsaved if we don't get involved with them! I don't mean go drinking at the bar with your coworkers. I do mean going to dinner with them. Sitting and chatting with them at work. Spending time building friendships, then they'll notice something in you that they lack.

I do believe this includes the political realm. I had a friend at the school where I worked in Lincoln, whom I loved dearly and still keep in touch with by email. She openly confessed she was not a Christian. She knew exactly where I stood. She would tease me sometimes calling me a closet liberal because I didn't look down on her for her beliefs, but she was keenly aware of my stand on abortion, gay rights or other "conservative" issues. She knew I disagreed with her, but still gave me the opportunity to express why I believe what I believe. She allowed me this right because I had become her friend.

Schools, politics, work, little league, the GROCERY store, these are all areas where we can let the love of God shine through! We should not limit where God wants to use us. We need to be involved in ALL everyday aspects of life! Especially those that affect the moral direction of this country.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna' let it shine"

You're so right! Our calling is to affect those in our circles with the love of Christ. We need to rub off on everyone we know. That is how we reach people for God, it's a process.

The 6 Karns' said...

I know your heart! This is why we need to be "in tune" with what God is wanting from each of us as individuals, families, churches, communities!

You know, we can't get KLOVE (radio station) at our house. It's out of tune...so we have to adjust our dial to WCIC...another Christian radio station. If we left it on KLOVE just because we "like" it better - even though it's out of tune - all we get is static. God is wanting us to adjust our dials! Even if we want to do something else - cuz it feels better, more comfortable, etc. - it doesn't mean it's right. We have to be IN TUNE with God's dial. And to do that, it takes prayer, prayer, then more prayer.

Voting, school, politics - it's all a part of OUR LIVES. Where does God want YOU to be and what does HE want YOU to do? We can NOT sit back and let others do the work. God has called us all to be ministers. In different areas. But it takes prayer, fasting, time with Him to be able to hear His voice.

We choose to homeschool, not because we don't want our kids to be Lights in a dark world, but because this is what God has called us to do. He wants us to be ready for His ministry - and that includes our children. Believe me, our kids have plenty of chances to be lights in all the activities they are involved in! Not all homeschoolers are Christians, either, just as not all kids who are sent to a private and/or Christian school are Christians. There are opportunites EVERYWHERE to be God's Lights. This is what I'm talking about, tho. We have to be in tune with God & what He wants from us. In all aspects of our lives.

We must make a stand.

Libby said...

It is my desire to see us reach out to the lost. I know there are many who read this blog who homeschool. I am not "bashing" that. I hope you know that, Amber and others who read this. I reiterate, you have to do what God has directed YOU to do. I'm just saying it can be one way we isolate ourselves. Just as not building friendships with non-Christian co-workers or not being involved with moral issues that have come into the political realm. The truth is, I have seen people who work in public places like schools (as well as kids who attend public school) who still isolate themselves.

We must be involved and "let it (our light) shine". And this petition just stirred my feelings up about being involved all the more.

That little children's song that Donny quoted says a mouthful.