Friday, August 18, 2006

"So you've had a bad day. ..."


There is a joke in my family that you never want to go out to eat with me because something ALWAYS goes wrong. Tonight supported that theory.

I was going to grill ribs but needed charcoal so I went to the store to purchase it. When I got home I asked my son to start the fire. He got the grill ready and poured the charcoal in. Upon inquiring as to why it was taking so long I discovered he couldn't find the lighter fluid. Someone has put it away but no one seems to remember doing so. By this time we decided it was getting too late to cook so we went out to eat.


At the restaurant we ordered 2 pizzas and a calzone. When the pizzas came, the large was a medium and the medium was a large. Not a major issue but my daughter's calzone was non existent. We waited patiently. Finally the server comes over and tells us that another server mistakenly gave the calzone to someone else. It was the wrong kind so they had to start another one. We waited and we waited AND we waited some more. When the calzone finally arrived, the rest of us had finished eating AND it was chicken instead of steak!

Earlier I had gone to Lowe's regarding the door I had painted for my daughter's room. I waited about two weeks for that door. I painted it as described in the post "Yesterday". I had to sand and repaint some places where the cheap paint ran. I then carried the door to her room to be hung. My suspicions were correct. The door had been delivered slab length instead of finished length. In other words, they didn't take into account the length that the mounts for the top and bottom of the door would take up so it was too long. When they tried to reorder the door properly there were MORE difficulties. The system tried to charge me extra for a special order door!

The title of this blog actually comes from a song. I love the song that has this line. It was the theme song for youth camp this year. It talks about taking the bad and turning it around for the good. I could have just as easily titled this post "Blessings or Cursings".

My son remarked jokingly that "The curse of Mom has returned" when our order got so fouled up. I in turn replied, "But how many times have we gotten free meals as a result?" The family had to concede. Tonight was no different. They gave us our daughter's meal PLUS two free deserts!

Because of the mistake at Lowe's and because of my trouble they gave me the special order door at the standard door price AND gave me a 10% discount to boot!

So my question to you is this. Would you choose to avoid eating with me because chances are good your meal will be messed up or would you want to eat with me because you might get a bargain? :) In other words, do you see the blessings or the cursings in your circumstances?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey want to out for luch tommarrow?????? LOLOL

ruthrap said...

libby, seriously, i don't think it's you, it could very well be the establishments you dine at!! but hang in there ,sounds like your batting average is pretty good so far at getting the fringe benefits from lousy service! as far as the door thing goes, that would really be exasperating, to say the least!

Anonymous said...

very good compariosn Libby, thank you for the subtle reminder

Unknown said...

i hope my comment above wasnt out of line,Im sorry if it was, sometimes i can have a very dry sence of humor!!