Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What If......

You could see your own funeral? How would you want it to turn out? What would you want people to say? How do you want to be remembered?

I attended the funeral....no... the celebration of the life of a wonderful woman today. Although I cried many tears, it was still a joyous occassion. The lives she touched. The smile she always wore. The love she always shared. She truly exemplified Christ in the life she lived. Every story, every song, every remembrance pointed to the joy she had and how she shared it with others. Even if one knew her for but a short time (as I did), you would immediately see Christ in the joy of her heart.

This funeral was very much like what I would want for my own. Celebrate for I have gone to a better place. Sing joyous songs unto the Lord for He is worthy. Dance for God's glory. Worship the Lord for who He is. But most of all, preach a message of salvation for those who may never darken the doors of a church. This could be the only time you have them as a captive audience.

Thank you, Margaret Loraine Karns (sp?), for the life you lived. It was and is an inspiration to all who knew you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats what I want!! for people to celebrate , I am with Jesus ,Im Happy and celebrateing so those you love me can to!!! knowing that im happy. i want a Holy Ghost PARTY!!!and no open casket, i want people to remember me the way i looked everyday not lying in a box !! LOLOL,

Anonymous said...

Id liek the celebration thing as well. I have also said that I refuse to allow open casket. I know some people say it's a way to say good-bye, but I want to be remembered for how I was in life, and not have the last memory of me in people's mins is the shell I once occupied.

(((hugs))) praying for the family

Darrell said...

First, let me add that this was one of the better funerals I have been to. I know that sounds morbid, but it was awesome. The visitation and funeral both, although the family was obviously feeling grief and pain, there was joy in the air, because one they dearly loved was in a far better place.

Now, as for me, I want the celebration as well, but in all honestly, as my wife well knows, I don't want all the money spent for a big funeral. Just my opinion, but there is WAY too much money spent for something that the deceased person will know nothing about. I can't see the thousands spent for a casket that will be on display for a few hours and then put in a hole in the ground, never to be seen again. I've told Libby to put me in a hefty bag and set me out on the curb. I know, you can't do that... but I really do not want my family spending a lot of money on a funeral. I'll shut up before I upset someone else, but now it is out there in the open for everyone to know my wishes Libby... bury me CHEAP and go to the Bahama and celebrate my life!

Anonymous said...

you can get a pine box for like cheap rofl .. that's all I want also.. simple cheap.... and somethign nice for the loved ones to get together and share memories sort of thing.

I have some family members that took pictures at my aunt's funeral.. of the casket and everything. And come to find out .. some funeral homes offer video taping the service for a small fee. I don't understand this concept... why would you want to have something to help you relive such a sad day... some how that seems morbid to me.. not meanign to offend anyone who would be ok with that.. but I truly do not understand why that would be 'ok'