Friday, August 11, 2006

Yesterday!

Yesterday was a very hectic day. I had picked up the door for my daughter's bedroom a couple of days ago so it was in our family room where I could lay it flat to paint it. Now the downstairs family room is between the living room and dining room, open to view from both. On Wed. I painted one side of the door and was letting it dry before turning it over. After church a couple came and told Darrell that they were intending to elope, but decided they wanted him to marry them just before they took off. When asked when they wanted to do this the response was, "Tommorrow!"

There are several activities that generally take place on Thursday nights at the church. The couple wanted to keep the wedding a secret until after they at least left town so this presented a situation (I've been told to use this word instead of problem. It softens the blow if you will.) Now my son is in band camp right now which wasn't to get out until six and was to be at church for Yuitsido by 7:15. It was decided we should do the wedding at our house at 6:30 in order to maintain secrecy. WOW! OK, we can do this.

It was 9:30 pm by now on Wednesday. I wanted to make their day as special as possible so I decided to use a couple of the nice table cloths from church and whatever else I could find to decorate. I went to the storage drawer. No table cloths. Now, I figured someone had taken them to wash them and to be truthful there was only one person at our church who would have done such a thing so I picked up my husband's handy dandy cell phone to call her. I felt a little guilty about this because she had missed church due to illness AND it was past her little ones' bed time, but I was in a pinch so I made the call hoping her husband would answer. Rats! Foiled again! They had employed the use of their handy dandy answering machine! It would have to wait until morning.

I went home and turned the door over to paint the other side with the other color of paint chewing myself out all the while for buying cheap paint in this color. The first side covered in one coat. This side took THREE. The expensive paint was about a third more in cost but covered in one coat so I actually LOST money buying the cheap paint. Lesson learned; moving on.

I folded the clothes I had washed while letting the paint dry between coats. Finally, I got to go to bed.

The next morning, after taking my son to band camp (still no license because he still hasn't cleaned his room) stopped in a grocery store bakery to get a single layer cake decorated for the wedding. After getting all the information from the lady behind the counter, I began to place my order. She then explained that the decorator was off duty that day. Now what?! I went home and went to plan B.

I called Amber and asked if she had gotten my message about the table cloths. "Yes, ...this morning. Who's getting married?" "I can't tell you, but she likes black, white and pink. Do you have any ideas?" "Yeah, I have several things left over from a shower, all in pink and white." "Great!"

I told Darrell about the cake dilemma. He said I could tell Amber who was getting married since I needed to ask her if she could decorate a cake. "Amber, can you make a wedding cake for me today? I want it to say 'Congratulations __________ and ___________' but you don't know them. Remember, I can't tell you who is getting married." We thought it best to spill the beans under the circumstances.

Amber didn't have any icing ready, but she found someone to make the cake for me. (Thanks, Amber.) Back to the business at hand.

I checked the paint on the door. It didn't need another coat (Thank you, Lord!), so my daughter and I carried the door upstairs. I taped off the doorway and painted the other half of the inside. (2 to 3 coats again!) I cleaned up the paint, then went downstairs to get to work. I carried up the paint cans, folded the drop cloth and removed any other signs of painting. I had my husband carry the metal shelf that the door was on down to the basement. Then the cleaning began. I went to get my son at lunch time. Did the lunch thing at home and took him back.

I continued cleaning until three at which point I took my shower. (Ashley did all the floors while I was gone. Darrell also helped as he could, but remember, he's doing the ceremony. He had to put that together.) I picked the decorations up at 4 from Amber's house then went to Wal-Mart to get the other supplies: flowers, cake topper, tulle, candy kisses, nuts. I then picked up the cake and and dinner mints at the grocery store and was off to pick up Daniel with 15 minutes to spare. Luckily, the band director let him out 15 minutes earlier than my note requested (it was now 4:45). Back home we went.

Darrell took the kids to pick up McDonald's while I decorated. After eating, I finished decorating, then we all had to get ready for the wedding. WHEW! 6:15 and we are ready, waiting on the couple and the other witness. (Darrell is the officiate and the kids are too young so we needed one more witness besides me.) Finally they arrive.

The bride had lost weight since she purchased her dress so we had to do some quick pinning (wish I had that problem). When she felt comfortable, we began. My 13 year old did the filming and my 16 year old was the photographer.

The couple loved the decorations and the little reception we created for them. It was a simple but beautiful wedding. The names of the new Mr. and Mrs. will be announced Sunday at church while they are away on their honeymoon.

Now that that's over I get to go back to my remodeling job which was preempted. But first, I have to pick my son up from band camp.

See what I mean about "Now my life will return to the speed of light"?!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I have to laugh because you guys seem to always have some sort of wild story to tell. Life is most likly never boring around your home is it?


HAHAHAHAH

Libby said...

Rarely! We actually look forward to boring days hoping no one catches wind of it!:)

ruthrap said...

Libby, I'm loggin' off! Just readin' that post plumb wore me out!! lol!

Anonymous said...

me if I could jsut get my house completely clena and keep it that way at least an hour... does that actually happen for anyone with kids? or is it like one of those things if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make noise?


ROFL

Anonymous said...

painter, mother, chauffer, chef, laundry doer, decorator, wedding planner, coordinator, maid, servant, official, witness .....whew! ..... that's alot for one day!

Praise the Lord for you Libby! You are a blessing to everyone around you because of your servant heart.

Neil said...

I'm worn out just reading this, can't imagine how you must feel! I will go out to eat with you though, I enjoy free and deserts!