Thursday, October 20, 2005


Kentucky Roots

When I was growing up I used to hear people say ,"Kentucky, the land of fast women and beautiful horses" (or was it the other way around?) I loved Kentucky. It was a beautiful place to grow up. And I was oblivious to the idea that almost everyone else in America veiwed us as dumb hillbillies where the women were barefoot and pregnant all the time and the men carried shotguns everywhere they went. "And Lord help the revenuer who sets foot on our property!"

While attending college (in KY I might add), I had the good fortune of meeting a fella from Illinois who later became my husband. He took me from that sheltered environment and moved me to his homeland. This was the first time I discovered we were the brunt of many of the jokes of people who lived outside our territory, in particular Illinoisans.

Now I have spent the past 20 years of my life trying to dispel the stereotypes of Kentuckians. It has been particularly difficult for me to get people to take me seriously since I have the added detriment of being a blond. But having worked my way through school obtaining first a bachelors degree then a masters degree, I thought I was finally making headway. That is until the events of this past week. In one shining moment, my parents anihalated all my hard work.

My sister called me the other day to tell me she had run into one of her neighbors who happens to work for the utility company. The same utility company that is in charge of the lines where my parents live (yes we had electricity where I grew up...and indoor plumbing, too)! Apparently, some of his employees had asked permission from my father to trim the trees around the power lines on their property. My father agreed to give them access if the power company would trim all the other trees on his property as well. Incredibly, they said they couldn't do that.

Well, a few days later the power company sent its workers out to trim the trees around the lines on my parents' property. As the rest of the world is aware, the utility companies don't need permission to access one's property for this purpose. I believe it's in a little clause called eavesment rights. Somehow, my father missed that memo. When he saw the men on his property, he went out and ran them off ( not politely I might add)!

A day or so passess and my sister's neighbor (the utility guy) goes to my parents' house to talk to them about trimming the trees. The polite gentleman knocks on the door and (are you ready?) my mother meets him at the front door with a loaded shotgun! He did sweet talk her enough to get the shotgun put on the table by the door but that was where the hospitlity stopped, still no access but I'm sure he got some new underwear out of the deal!

Oh, I forgot to mention why the man stopped my sister to begin with. He wanted to know if our parents are insane? Go figure, I guess because in Kentucky most people would meet you at the door with just a loaded pistol.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

My father's mother was from Kentucky. She was the most proper and put together woman I've ever known. No 'Tucky jokes about her. Funny though, they called her brother Tex and everybody assumed he was from Texas.

My mom's family is from southern Il, Decatur and Sullivan area. Her aunt didn't have running water until the late 60's I believe.

Apparently those in my family believe that I have a bit of a twang in my speech. My mom always said she didn't understand but I must have inherited it from my grandma. I don't hear it.

Libby said...

I really don't know what happened to my parents. They weren't always like this or maybe I only remember what I want to remember from my childhood.

Sarah said...

I couldn't stop laughing after reading this and even when I reread I still laugh. I think there are parts every family can relate. I know I can think of specific family members that I could insert in this story. I LOVE IT! HA!

Libby said...

My sister and I were howling on the phone over this. That's where all the KY jokes came from. (I deleted them because I didn't want to offend anyone.) Now, she keeps calling with other stories she remembers. She decided to write a book about our family. She wants me to help. Trust me, there are enough stories to fill a book!

Jen said...

Very funny! My dh is from a small coal mining town on the border of Va, WV and Kentucky. He's airforce and been away from home for nearly 19 years...he can hear the twang his family has whenever we go home. He thinks he doesn't have any accent at all after all this time. I can hear it every day though. :)

Libby said...

Glad you stopped by, Jen. What does "dh" stand for? Sorry, you have to spell things out for me. You know, being from KY and all.

Jen said...

DH stands for darling (or demented) husband.

Libby said...

The only thing I could think of was "designated hitter". I like yours. I'll have to use that.

Henry Haney said...

Hi there, I found your site through your hubby's blog- I just wanted to say thanks for the laughs. My mom's family is from rural Alabama and I live in North Carolina so I agree that it is difficult to "get beyond your raisin'." I have a southern accent too, which makes things ten times worse for my credibility. LOL

Libby said...

My accent still comes out when I'm tired. Although, true Yankees can pick it up any time.

And "y'all" will always be a part of me no matter how long I'm in the North.