Monday, October 31, 2005


Nursery News

At our church we believe in staffing our nursery with an "Equal Responsibility Employer" motto. Fathers are just as welcome to assist in the care of infants and toddlers as mothers. However, this can lead to some err... "compromising" situations.

Last night I was staffing the nursery along with one of the fathers. Other than a few mysterious odors, things had gone quite smoothly. We found toys, books, drinks... many things to keep the little ones entertained during the service.

On the jacket of the dress I was wearing was a rather large (about 5 inches long) very colorful, shiny brooch. As you might imagine, this caught the attention of one of the toddlers. As I was holding her, she pulled and tugged and played with the brooch as best she could considering it was securely pinned to my jacket. She became bored with the brooch so I put her down and she ran off to play with something else.

It was getting very warm in the nursery so I took my jacket off and hung it up. As the service neared the end, I lifted my jacket up to put it back on. The "securely" pinned brooch came loose and fell down the back of my dress. It got caught on the material and would not fall the rest of the way out. It kept sticking me as I danced around the room trying to shake it loose. I couldn't ask my co-worker for assistance for that would require reaching down the back of my dress. Since he was another woman's husband I thought that would probably be inappropriate. The congregation was in the middle of an alter call and my husband was on the platform with the mic. I was running out of options. Thankfully the pin finally jarred loose and fell.

I repinned the brooch, put on my jacket, regaining what was left of my dignity and returned my attention to the children. Soon afterward, one of the little boys said, "I want to hold you!" Of course I couldn't resist. I replied, "I want to hold you, too!" and picked him up. He started reaching for that irresistable brooch. At least that's what I thought until he grabbed the front of my scooped neck dress, pulled it out and with a wide-eyed gaulk at what he discovered cried,"EWWWW!!!" Yes, that father was still in the nursery and there went what was left of my dignity.

Kids!! You gotta love 'em!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

First of all, you really should have a disclaimer before this post as I couldn't stop laughing. I am at work and I'm sure some might think I have finally "lost it".

Secondly, I love your hardline stance here.
[QUOTE]Since he was another woman's husband I thought that would probably be inappropriate.[/QUOTE]

It is probably inappropriate but nobody could be quite sure in these situations. Tough call. LOL! (but not too loud)

Anonymous said...

Well, as mother of the "EWWW" boy - I have to say, Join the club! He looks at daddy without a shirt on and says..."ewww - you're nated" (naked for those of you who don't speak 2 yr old).
Sorry, Libby - but don't take it personally. hee

Sarah said...

Are the claws about to come out? hee hee hee

Libby said...

Amber, I am just a little concerned about what you are teaching your children! Do I need to set up a conference with Pastor? hehehe.

That's it, Sarah, just egg it on!