Wednesday, October 19, 2005


The Quest For the Ring

I set out on a mission last night to find my husband a new wedding ring. Our twentieth wedding anniversary is coming up and I thought this would be an appropriate gift. So I gathered all the necessary gear for my journey and off I went to begin my quest.

J.C. Penney was having a sale (unbelievable I know) of up to 50% off so I started there. There were some expensive rings, some over priced rings and some er... let's call them less expensive rings. If I bought one right then I would get the "Pre-sale" extra discount of an additional 15%! I was very tempted but I thought I should shop around so I headed down to a jewelry store.

As luck would have it, they were also having a sale. If I bought at their "pre-sale" sale I would get an extra 10% off! As the sales clerk was showing me the different rings, she would explain the wonderful features of each, the great value, the beauty, the fire,... I then noticed a ring with a strangely colored metal. "Oh, these are our titanium rings. Very beautiful." I agreed and unusual as well.

My husband likes unusual and different things so this caught my interest. However, before the clerk would show it to me, she wanted to know what my husband did for a living. (Did she want to know if I could afford it? Was it just polite conversation? Why was she asking?) I politely responded, "He's a minister." "Oh," she replied, "I always ask because a lady bought one of these and ended up in an accident and broke her arm. Her hand began to swell turning her finger purple. The ring was cutting off the circulation so the hospital tried to cut the ring off. They didn't have the right tools so they cut her finger off instead." I quickly turned my attention back to the "regular" gold rings.

I kept eyeing the "comfort band with diamonds" but it was a little expensive. I could spend $5oo on this ring or I could go to J.C. Penney and get an engraved gold band on sale for $50 something. Now, I don't want to sound cheap, but this would be my husband's fourth ring in less than 20 years of marriage!

The History of The Ring

Our first set of rings was purchased by my mother. We were so poor, we couldn't afford rings. These plain gold bands were very precious to us so we never took them off . My husband began to glow. I thought it was because he was so much in love. I later discovered it was because his ring became electroplated with battery acid while working on our car. The ring began to "eat away" at his skin. We tried to have it cleaned numerous times to no avail. Needless to say, he had to stop wearing it.

Ring one down

A few years later, we were a little more financially secure so I bought Darrell a gold band with diamonds for our anniversary. Due to the webbing in his hand and being unaccustomed to wearing a ring now, he kept taking it off. (I think he was a little more concerned about "hurting" this ring as well.)

While out of town for a funeral, he took the ring off to polish his shoes. In our rush to get to the funeral on time, he forgot to pick his ring back up. We had already checked out, so he called the desk as soon as we arrived at the funeral home to have the manager to retrieve the ring before the room was cleaned. Amazingly enough, the maid that was sent to check, said there was no ring. Now according to the manager, none of his maids would steal anything. The only possible explanation? Light Fingers Luie somehow found a key, entered the room unnoticed, and stole the ring.

Ring two down.

I felt really bad about the loss of this ring, so I bought him another for his birthday this year. Within a month of the time I paid it off, it sprouted legs and walked off. (You just can't stop evolution.)

Ring three down.

Back to "The Quest"

I thought this series of events over carefully, discussed them with a friend and after extensive deliberation...I went back to J.C. Penney for the $50 something ring. (I figured he could use this one for everyday.) I pulled out my credit card and told the clerk to ring it up! I was ready for Christmas!

By the look on the clerk's face I knew there was a problem with my bargain. "Oh, I'm sorry." she said,"This is a 'value right' ring. You don't get the 50% off, just the 15%. This ring is $89." I said, "You had me at the $5o!" I put my credit card back in my purse and left.

I guess The Quest will have to continue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...hey - we tried!!!

Pastor Jeff said...

Hey,Libby, happy anniversary to you and Darrell! I've had to have my ring cleaned and have a special coating put on it. It's white gold, because my wife likes it better than regular gold. But I have a reaction to the nickel in the ring. I just don't feel right without it on.

Libby said...

Amber- even Darrell agrees he doesn't want another really expensive ring.

MP- never thought of having a new coating put on his original band! I may try that. He still has that one in a jewelry box. Thanks for the tip.