Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Alphabet Soup?


Do you ever feel like your entire conversational language is in code? I don't know how it is in other professions, but in education everything is referred to by letters or numbers. Schools are identified as KHS, GHS, LCHS, LJHS, CSC, MSU, etc. Or you might hear them referred to as CUSD #202 , #210, CSD #104, etc. Kids with special needs may have IEP's or 504's. The organizations are in code as well. Schools may have NHS, NJHS, FFA, FCA, FTA, or FHA for students to join. We have AD's and AP's at the HS or the JHS. The NEA, IEA or KEA may submit a request or complaint to the ROE if they get no satisfaction from the LBOE. Even the parents have gotten in on the act with their PTAs and PTOs!
I've noticed this trend flowing into the community as well. My daughter's choir is CSCCCC! The TV stations are NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, WB, BBC. The radio stations are WCIC, KMOX,WMIX, WKRP :).
It's even in our churches. We have FTH, WYEA, SS, PUSH, EDGE.
We certainly can't stop there. Anyone on the internet has there own set of coded language. We ROFL, LOL, TXT. We'll BRB and say BTW. We ask A/S/L. We have DH, HTML, GIF, ROM, RAM, CDROM, DVD. We even have little codes for facial expressions! :) ;) ;-)
I realized one day I needed an interpreter because everything I said was in strings of numbers or acronyms and the person I was speaking with didn't have a clue what I was talking about! I decided at that moment I would start speaking English again. After all, communication is one of the most important things we do in any relationship. If only one person understands the conversation then am I really communicating?
BFF, OXOXOXOXOXOX, TTYL,
J/K
CUL8R
LG

8 comments:

The 6 Karns' said...

Huh????

(lol)

Sarah said...

A WKRP reference. I love it! I'm still trying to explain 24/7 to my Mom.

=P
:O
>:(
:I

Unknown said...

lol!! you are a ffl and a gp GBU!!!!

syl, Amy

ps ffl is freind for life , gp is great person , & GBU is God bless you!! just to clairify , didnt want you to think i was saying something bad!!!

Darrell said...

Thanks for the headache hon!

Libby said...

No, but that is hilarious.

Henry Haney said...

Hey I'm just a simple WYSIWYG Kinda guy!!

Like Amy, I feel the need to clarify.

WYSIWYG= What you see is what you get!

LOL

Anonymous said...

you are so right. we took proper language lets say English and Spanish, and made it completly diffrent. we have alot of slang that we use.my kids are learning spanish(proper)right now, well they need my help, i cant help them because i only know slang spanish. if i had to go to spain i wouldnt have a clue what they are saying. so now that we have slang language (to make life simple)we are making it even easier than ever now(i call it being lazy,my opion)i am a bad one when it comes to using all the little lol's,brb,wwjd. we may not realize what we do until we ar confronted with it. so today if i am talking to someone on here or in person, i will not use shortcuts. i think for a full day i will try to not be simple..lol..oopssss didnt last long. j/j..anyways im just yacking to no end here, so i will close with..god bless you and have a great day, be back later. lots of laughs.

Anonymous said...

ok didnt make it though the day without using shortcuts.lol. try it, pretty hard i tell ya~smiles n laffs~