Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Fathers and Childbirth


Note: Parents my wish to read this before allowing small children to read it. Wives may also wish to prepare their husbands:)

At the beginning of my physics class one of the students announced that 2 of the basketball coaches at our school came very near to missing the births of their children. I said that would be grounds for divorce in my book! After all, they had a part in the err development of the condition. They should at least pretend to endure the pain! This discussion prompted the memory of when I was expecting my first child.

Being a first time mother, I wanted to learn all I could about the development of the child. What I could expect during the pregnancy; my options for childbirth. I studied everything I could get my hands on. I even checked a book out at the High School library which gave the history of coping with childbirth in various cultures throughout history. I found this book to be particularly interesting. My favorite part was the section regarding the way the Aztecs dealt with childbirth. Their practice was as follows:

When the expectant mother began the pains of labor, she was taken to a barn with tall open rafters. She would be laid on a table and handed two ropes, one for each hand. When she would experience a sharp labor pain she would pull on these ropes to help her endure the terrible pain. The father would climb up into the rafters overlooking the mother. (Here comes my favorite part!) After positioning himself securely, the ropes would be tied around his testicles so that when the mother pulled on the ropes at the peak of her pain, the father could share in the labor of childbirth!

I have since wondered if this was a method of birthcontrol for this people. It might also explain why they died out!

10 comments:

Darrell said...

Good thing this wasn't around when Daniel was born, or there would not be an Ashely!!!

Anonymous said...

ROFL hahahah I had heard this story ages ago also and had often threatened to use it with Troy hahahahahahaha

I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows these intersting facts ROFL

Anonymous said...

Hi Libby, i am Ruby, Amy Matthews aunt~nods and smiles~ i wanted to let you know that i have been reading your blogs,so i decided i better leave ya a message. didnt want to be a lurker~lol~ i love this story, i read and i laughed so hard i was crying, my kids thought i was insane. thx for the laughter. and also thank you for your inspiring words, i will be back everyday to read. standing in prayer with you and the church from carthage.
Ruby

Libby said...

Glad to know you're there! Thanks for the feedback. Maybe you can come visit on day. I don't know how far away Carthage is, but if your in town some weekend visiting Amy come visit our church. We'd love to have you.

Pastor Jeff said...

Thought only makes me want to scream out in agony! When the baby is born this June, I can gauruntee that this method will not be employed!
~Jeff

Henry Haney said...

I'm thankful the good Lord helped mankind invent the epidural (did I spell it right? Oh well-y'all know what I'm talking about anyways)

I gave my wife my hands to squeeze and I still remember the intense pain (I felt-LOL)

You ladies are tough!

Pastor Jeff said...

Amen to Henry! My wife had a death grip. I think labor creates strength women really don't have normally. She could have crushed a brick in bare hand!

Anonymous said...

ROFL Troy read the response in my blog about the Aztecs... and rofl I didn't even have to remind him of it.. he said " UH NO I DON"T THINK SO MS LIBBY!"

ROFL the big chicken.

When I had the epidural put in with Kaylin.... Troy had to leave the room.... ROFL he couldn't stand to see me in so much pain...but what he didn't know is that needle felt fantastic rofl .. it brought relief!!!!

You'd have to ask PT how goo dmy grip was I don't remember.. I remember holding on to that rail for dear life ROFL

Libby said...

I haven't been called 'Miss Libby' since high school. Brought back memories. (Remember, I grew up in KY) Well I guess my bro-in-law calls me that sometimes (he grew up in KY, too and is still there)

Neil said...

Ouch! Thank God we're done with children! Though I must admit that my wife was quite kind and easy going during the birth of our children...but I don't believe that I will invite her to read this post...she might just go out and buy some ropes!