Friday, March 31, 2006

I Had an Odd Thought Today


I know that anyone who knows me personally would not be able to imagine such a thing, but I had a really odd thought today. As I was getting ready to back up in my drive and leave for work I noticed 2 squirrels "playing" in the nieghbor's bushes. It is a gorgeous day (thank God after the long dreary winter) and the squirrels were out taking advantage of that fact. This scene wasn't that unusual. We have lots of squirrels of every race and ethnic origin who scamper, run, jump, climb the trees and yes "play" on a regular basis in our back yard giving no apparent thought to their physical differences. I enjoy watching them jump from one tree to the next, stand on their hind legs while eating a nut, run across the fence. Their agility amazes me, so I was pleased to see the squirrels back enjoying the day. But as I watched the squirrels tumbling in a circle it dawned on me (my odd thought). With all the squirrels we have "playing" in our back yard and the neighbors' back yards why aren't there any baby squirrels? I never see any babies! There ought to be little ones running around as a result of all this "playing". I mean the squirrels have apparently figured out the truth Will Smith refers to in "Hitch" when he says, "In case you never went to high school, hitting is a good thing!" So where are the babies? Are the parents hiding them? Are they tucked away in the knot of a tree somewhere? Even so, they should come out at some point! So where are they?
If you have any wisdom to enlighten me, please share it. I don't remember learning this in high school biology.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

When are the babies born, and why don't we see them?

Baby squirrels are born in the spring, without fur. They're blind, and weigh in at one or two ounces each. There are usually four in a liter. The mother will keep the young in the nest and nurse them until they're ready to venture out of the nest, on their own. This is usually in eight to ten weeks. You may see a mother squirrel move her babies, she will carry them by mouth, one at a time.

Libby said...

But I don't remember seeing any that are smaller than adult size. I don't just mean the newborns. What about the children and teens. Where are they?

Darrell said...

You just don't pay enough attention. Sarah is pretty much right on track. Of course there are different varieties and they all differ slightly in their gestation periods and their habits. The mating period is usually March-April and with gestation periods ranging from 29 - 40 weeks, the little ones are not usually out and about until late summer and into the fall. At this time they are busy building nests and storing food to get them through the winter. Watch them in the fall and you will notice younger ones.

By the way, I had to go read up on them to get this information and I found that the black squirrels are considered rare in most places. They typically are in Canada and colder climates. (What's that tell you about Galesburg?) The propose that the ones in colder climates developed black fur to absorb more sun light to help them survive the cold. I don't buy that, because the same science nuts tell us that the black man developed black skin to help him survive the heat of Africa. You can't have it both ways!

Pastor Jeff said...

You see lots of black squirrels up north in Michigan, but never in my area, around Ann Arbor. My aunt has mentioned having a lot of them, and she is on the east side of Detroit. I have seen younger squirrels in late summer/fall.

Libby said...

"Science nuts", is that a pun? Should I take that comment personnally?

The 6 Karns' said...

If the shell fits....

Deborha's Palm Tree said...

Good one Karns'!
I was taught that Colonel Davenport brought the black squirrels here from China. (?)

Anonymous said...

Ruth said...last spring our dog, Josie found a nest of baby rabbits in a flower bed in the backyard. We babysat those rabbits for over a month to keep her from eating them! I never once saw the mother, but she took care of them after dark and left in the morning.There was four of them. When they were big enough to hop we set then loose over by the tracks..it took a while to corral them..especially with Josie trying to help!

Anonymous said...

This is funny........Marci and I went to my parents yesterday and Dad was telling me he watched a squirrel carry a baby squirrel by the neck across the road in front of him Saturday. He told me it is the first time he has seen this happen. We had a big discussion about how you never see baby squirrels!! Oh yeah, I really am a geologist!

Libby said...

Thank you! I have taken some ribbing (not that that is unusually for me) for not being observant.

I would love to have seen that momma carrying the baby.

I do, however, appreciate all the research you guys have done to find out about baby squirrels.