Monday, March 13, 2006

Pray With Simplicity

I was reading from the 6th chapter of Matthew in The Message translation today and this passage really hit me:
"The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for gettin what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply."
This is the preface to the Lord's Prayer. How many times I have read this passage, but it never spoke to me quite like this! How many televangelists are giving us "formulas" for how to pray or act to get what we want from God? How many times have we had "programs and advice" dished on us to tell us how to make a church grow or to get wealth? We just need to simply petition God and then do what HE says! Quit putting our faith in others or in things and trust GOD!

2 comments:

Darrell said...

Are you telling me that I don't need to send in to get that Green prayer cloth that that guy on the tv was telling me about the other night?

Libby said...

Exactly!!!!!